Beware that many IDE to SATA converters do not work stably.
This answer applies to MTV3500, MTV3600 and MTV5000 only. It does not apply to any other model.
HDD larger than 2TB is not supported.
If you use a Linux PC to format the HDD first, create and format two partitions - first partition 1GB ext3 and second partition using the remaining storage as ext2 (default) or ext3 (slower) with -i 10000000 -b 4096 -I 128
If you cannot perform the above operation, the following HDD format procedure can be used for MTV3500, MTV3600 and MTV5000 only.
- Unzip all the contents of the rescue firmware zip to the root directory of a FAT32-formatted USB flash drive - it must have at least 1 partition, as formatted by HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
- Plug the USB flash drive into the Magic TV.
- Stand really close to the Magic TV.
- Upon turning on the rear power switch, repeatedly press the pause button on the remote at a rate of 3 times per second or faster, until it shows RESCUE on the front panel. If it proceeds to boot up usually, power it off using the rear power switch then try again.
- After RESCUE is shown, wait for up to 1 minute. It should show FOUND FIRMWARE on the front panel.
- Press 15900 on the remote
- The front panel should show FORMAT HD?
- Press OK on the remote
- The front panel shoulld show FORMATTING
- Wait for the format to complete, it should show FORMAT DONE for a very short time, then become FOUND FIRMWARE again
- Power cycle the Magic TV using the rear power switch and remove the USB flash drive