Let's talk about car repair & maintenance tools

本帖最後由 lawlaw01 於 2014-12-9 22:46 編輯

Any DIY mechanics here and what sort of repair & maintenance tools you have?  

For me I like to do some of the simple repairs and maintenance myself.  Not only because it's cheaper, but I have more confident and peace of mind when I do it myself.  I am a "spec" freak and when I attempt to repair something I always follow the procedures and specifications called out by the factory service manual.  So you can imagine how furious I become when I see a so called professional mechanic do a lousy job or trying to save a few minutes and not doing it the right way.  Over the years I have purchased quite a number of tools so I can do the basic maintenance myself.  I will share some of the more interesting ones here.  Let's start with the basics:

Screwdrivers: nothing special but it is an essential tool if you need to take apart anything.  And a good set of screwdriver will last you a long time.  This is the Wera torx set and you'll need it if you want to work on a German car.  Of course I also have the regular Phillips & Flat head screwdriver to complement this set.
1442.jpg
2014-12-9 09:05

Torx Keys: same purpose as above but I keep this in my glove box because it's so tiny.  Comes in handy say for those quick job like checking my air filter.
1bic3.jpg
2014-12-9 09:05

Wrench & Socket: I have this 3/8" drive metric Wera set with 6-24mm sockets which pretty much covers my needs.  Also comes with a T-handle, two extensions for those long reach area, and a wobble extension so it's easy to use around tight spots.
2014-12-08-20.55.26.jpg
2014-12-9 09:06
2014-12-08-20.55.43.jpg

Wheel Sockets: You might wonder what's so special about this.  Take a closer look and you'll see the metal socket is covered by a plastic sleeve so it won't damage the wheel finish even if you use it with your eyes closed.
2014-12-08-20.58.00.jpg
2014-12-08-20.58.27.jpg

Torque Wrench: This is my favorite tool and the most often neglected part if you take your car to the shop.  When they assemble the cars in the factory every nuts and bolts are torqued to a certain spec; over-tightening might stretch/weaken the bolt, and in extreme cases, the bolt snaps after you drive out of the shop.  Under-tightening is just as bad; you don't want your wheel or spark plug to fly out while you are on the road.  I actually have three torque wrenches: the first one is from Husky tool which I owned for 10 years.  I recently bought two more from Hazet shown below.  The small wrench is rated from 10-60 N/m, and the large one is from 40-200 N/m and I use the appropriate one depending on the torque spec.  I've used them to do my spark plugs, tyre/wheel rotations, and brake job.  And of course I can rest assure all the bolts on the under carriage were torqued to factory spec when I installed my suspension & sway bars.  
2014-12-08-21.01.26.jpg
2014-12-08-21.02.04.jpg
2014-12-08-21.02.18.jpg

Brake Bleeder: When you replace the brake fluid, or when you have air bubbles in the system due to overheated brake fluid, you will need to bleed it out to get rid of air pockets trapped inside the brake lines.  Otherwise your brake pedal will feel soft like a sponge, with high pedal effort, and braking performance is compromised.  Normally this is a two man job: one guy sit in the driver's seat and keep his foot on the brake, while the other person goes to the brake caliper and open the bleeder valve.  You'll have to do this to all four wheels and it is a very tedious job.  This tool from Motive Product makes bleeding the brake a one man job.  It works like a garden sprayer: you put fresh brake fluid inside the canister, attach the cap to the brake fluid reservoir, then pressurized it with the hand pump to about 15psi.  Then you go to the caliper, attach the catch bottle to the bleeder valve and open the valve with a line wrench.  The pressure from the bleeder will push old brake fluid out and refill the system with new brake fluid.  With this tool I can bleed the brake system myself, and the most difficult part is to get the car in the air and remove the wheels.
2014-12-09-22.11.54.jpg
2014-12-9 22:45

Misc Stuff: These are the small stuff but make the job so much easier.

Left most is a caliper piston retractor.  This tool pushes the caliper piston back when replacing brake pads.  Suppose you can use a channel lock plier but then I am a "spec" freak and want to do it right.

Middle: Ignition coil puller.  This is more or less a VW tool.  The ignition coil on VW engines are recessed into the valve cover and its very difficult to remove.  With this tool, the hook can grab the ignition coil from underneath and you just need to give it a firm tug and viola...the coil is removed so you have access to the spark plugs.

Right most is a strut socket.  You will need this to install lowering springs on a Macpherson Strut.  It keeps the strut from spinning while tightening the strut nut.  
2014-12-09-22.14.55.jpg
2014-12-9 22:45

Let's call it at that for now.  I might have a few to add later...

I used to do that too when I was younger....

I rely on Sears Craftsman tools.  I bought those when I was studying in the US and they are still as new after all these years.

The problem I found today is cars rely too much in electronics and those are impossible to fix and spare parts are bloody expensive!

最煩係要磅尺, 一般人都唔知去邊搵.

放係車旁身工具

本帖最後由 lawlaw01 於 2014-12-9 18:38 編輯
I used to do that too when I was younger....

I rely on Sears Craftsman tools.  I bought those when  ...
Yoda 發表於 2014-12-9 14:07

Sears Craftsman were OK back then.  I remember they marketed it as Made in USA.  But they have shifted most of the production to Taiwan or even China nowadays, quality is so so.  The only good part is they still offer a lifetime guarantee so you can exchange a new one if you ever break it.

The Craftsman Professional line are still OK, of course they are more expensive.

最煩係要磅尺, 一般人都唔知去邊搵.
mcdull 發表於 2014-12-9 14:47

磅批其實有好多選擇。要高級鴨記有賣 Wera 磅批,要中價野就 Proxxon 或 Bluepoint,平貨就自己淘算吧啦。

Hazet 同 Stahlwille 就真係未見過香港有得賣。我果兩支 Hazet 都係之前出 trip 去德國買番黎。

no la.. 最唔抵既係, 老美買呢啲野平香港十倍. 選擇又多.. 唉.

本帖最後由 lawlaw01 於 2014-12-9 21:10 編輯
no la.. 最唔抵既係, 老美買呢啲野平香港十倍. 選擇又多.. 唉.
mcdull 發表於 2014-12-9 19:53

鋪租貴,同埋香港始終少人買。每次幾件幾件咁來貨價都唔好得去邊。

真係要買,美國/德國 ama神 再集運返香港仲平。

就係分分鐘連運費都平過呢邊買先慘.
唔關舖租事, 係香港地方細冇乜人有車房, 做乜鬼DIY.