Downloading, want to try try KVM

回覆 3# 的帖子

唔知年底前出唔出得成...
By the way, Satellite 都出咗新版 5.3 。

原帖由 adrianmak 於 2009-9-3 08:02 發表
等...centos 5.4  

睇怕都要等一個月後.

where can download RH5.4 (opensource)?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is open source operating system, source code is available here:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/ ... Server/en/os/SRPMS/

But if you are talking about "free" ($0) version, there is NO free RHEL in the world,
only home built, non-QA, unsupported 山寨版 from RHEL source code above, which
is known as CentOS, but recompile all source code need time (although they don't
test it well), I think you need to wait for 2-3 monthes.

原帖由 浩華 於 2009-9-3 21:31 發表
where can download RH5.4 (opensource)?

原帖由 lazyfai 於 2009-9-3 22:13 發表
Red Hat Enterprise Linux is open source operating system, source code is available here:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/ ... Server/en/os/SRPMS/
But if you are talking about "free" ($0) ...

Oh, yes.
This is what I always want to discuss.
Do you think the media CD/DVD of Redhat 5.4 is free?
OR, what will you do if your 30-days trials is gone? Delete the whole Redhat if you never wanna to buy the subscription?
You know, Linux (kernel) is GPL, which cannot be sold without source code. Redhat charges people to have their so-called online-update (well, I never use it since I update manually).
There was an argument in the US forum (forgot which one) that someone agreed it is free to use RedHat without using their online support.
I am NOT going to ask for free Redhat, but you can say this is the problem of GPL (so it comes along the GPLv2, GPLv3...etc.)
Correct me if I am wrong.

[ 本帖最後由 patrickit 於 2009-9-3 22:34 編輯 ]

I am not legalist so I cannot discuss about legal stuff here.

But for source issue, the FTP site already had all source code available for free ($0).
So it should not be a problem with GPL.

Also GPL only stated "you need to provide source code", but not "you need to provide your software for free", so compiled, binary, tested RPM packages no need to be give out freely ($0).

原帖由 patrickit 於 2009-9-3 22:33 發表

You know, Linux (kernel) is GPL, which cannot be sold without source code. Redhat charges people to have their so-called online-update (well, I never use it since I update manually).

[ 本帖最後由 lazyfai 於 2009-9-3 22:43 編輯 ]