Web Warriors

Hi all,

Do you want to know the damage caused by a virus?

The video is here.

Do you feel that how good that your operating system is Linux?

Samiux

Thank you, Samiux. It seems that we can always learn something new from your post. After watching the clip, I think that a normal user is some how just like surfing the net naked. No matter how hard we try to protect ourselves, the hacker can always find ways to crack. So, I am wondering if there exist some method or solution for the ordinary user to protect themselves? I remembered that you told us Linux is a better choice of OS. However, what if the case that the user is not skillful? I think a not well-protected linux is more dangerous than windows.

Thank you, Samiux. It seems that we can always learn something new from your post. After watching th ...
Sora 發表於 2012-7-23 20:31

@Sora,

In general, Unix-like system is more secure by design compare with Windows system.  

However, the application programs and kernel are developed by human being.  That means, there may be some flaws/vulnerabilities in the codes.

The firewall and IPS/IDS can be bypassed by skilled hackers.  Anti-virus evasion is one of the techniques used by skilled hackers.  Some applications that system administrators used most, such as SNMP, are vulnerable by design.

The manufacturers used to launch some solutions that they claimed to be very convenience/useful are lead to exploit, such as WPS for wireless router.

There are many ways and chances to compromise your box as long as it is connected to the internet.

The best method to overcome this problem is to learn how to hack, in my opinion.  Be a ethical hacker in order to protect your computers and networks.  Or hire some ethical hackers to do penetration testing for your computers and networks.  Do it before some evils done it.

"Ethical hackers and hackers are speaking the same language, using the same tools and playing the same game." [1]

"Learn to hire a thief to try to steal something; don't hire a cop." [1]

Samiux

Reference : [1] Hackers : Outlaws and Angels

本帖最後由 Sora 於 2012-7-23 23:43 編輯

@Samiux,

It's really my honor to receive such a serious and long reply from you.

After reading some of your post in HKEPC, I found some PDFs about penetration test(backtrack) . After reading the opening cheapters, I found that this really difficult to learn the skills by just reading those PDFs.

Actually, I'm a junior programmer with so litte experience. Therefore, I'm wordering if I'm lacking of some basic knowledge of computer security. It will be a great help to me and to those who are eager to learn if you can recommend some tittle of books or sharing learning path for beginner.

Sora
p.s. the WPS is really a joke!!haha

@Samiux,

It's really my honor to receive such a serious and long reply from you.

After reading so ...
Sora 發表於 2012-7-23 21:50

@Sora,

For a beginner, this book, "Metasploit - The Penetration Tester's Guide", is a good start.

If you are serious in this field, I will recommend you to take some of the Penetration Test courses, such as CISSP, C|EH, PWB (OSCP) and some others.

If you are interested in PWB, you can read my articles for the course reviews, Part I and Part II.

Samiux