Sandy Bridge-E VT-d Broken In C1 Stepping !

http://www.techpowerup.com/15297 ... y-After-Launch.html

PC enthusiast customers and companies running corporate datacentres looking to buy into the new Sandy Bridge-E platform may want to wait a little while before handing over their hard-earned money to Intel. The initial batch of C1 revision Sandy Bridge-E processors have a bug – “errata” in Intel terminology – in them with VT-d, which means that hardware accelerated virtualization doesn’t work properly with them (software only mode is unaffected). The feature when working properly, allows all hardware acceleration to work on the hosted operating system (virtual machine). This would allow things such as hard drive controllers to work, plus applications such as high-powered 3D games, typically First Person Shooters, to run at nearly full speed and the full Windows Aero desktop to be displayed on the hosted OS, as the hardware features of the graphics card can be used. Therefore, working VT-d is a critical feature for these kinds of applications.

Dom姐勁.前天咒一咒煙條.今天就出事.希望唔係真.唔係誰會買C1 step的SB-E.

So there should be NO working VT-D at all at the moment...

So there should be NO working VT-D at all at the moment...
mcdull 發表於 2011-10-3 14:48

Do you mean even those SBs' are faulty?

Not sure.. but highly likely.
Intel 由 X58 開始, 經常性地標示 VT-D compatibility.. 但隔一排就會remove.
事實上, 幾乎只有 vsphere 會用到 VT-D (HyperV係完全唔會用到)
所以冇乜人會知到底係咪用得到.  就算用得到, 亦未必唔係 faulty.
如果到今日Intel出既最新 CPU 依然未可以行 VT-D, 我亦唔信舊既可以冇問題.
加上. Intel 宣稱 support VT-D 既 chipset 只有 Q 系 (H67, Z68 等等都係唔support, 留意係唔support, 唔係唔可以打開). 而Q系既板係市場絕無僅有.
所以, VT-D 到今時今日依然係一個迷.
Conclusion,
家用既,你唔會用得到 VT-D (Q板難求)
Production用既, 有 VT-D 你都唔敢用.

申報利益, 我家中的X58係可以開VT-D, ESX亦見到, 但我冇需要用住.

device 本身唔識 VT , 點行 VT ?
要 CPU 行 VT-D 教其他 device 行 VT 跟本是玩野

倒不如要 GPU 或其他 device 加入 VT 更加實際

本帖最後由 NexusN 於 2011-10-3 15:55 編輯
Not sure.. but highly likely.
Intel 由 X58 開始, 經常性地標示 VT-D compatibility.. 但隔一排就會remov ...
mcdull 發表於 2011-10-3 15:10

In fact when I was assembling my own server, I have viewed some topics about the software and hardware using and needed for VT-d, besides Q67, C20x series can also use VT-d, and as you have mentioned probably only VMware ESX would utilize at the moment and the compatibility is questionable.

However, as it is very hard to pick a C206 board to work with my E3-1235(Only ASUS P8B WS - on newer firmware it confirmed the support of VT-d, but this shit cannot be found in Hong Kong) and I have use for IGP so finally picked a H61 and still waiting for yet another C206 board as replacement. Can't tell if VT-d really works on SB.

afaik it is not a good idea to use VT-d unless it is a must to do it (special hardware that you need for a certain VM). Or to get unsupported hardware to run on the ESXi box.

Q67, 正都 jumbo 都有...

Q67, 正都 jumbo 都有...
kirafung 發表於 2011-10-3 16:53

Sadly Q67 has no support on ECC memory.........

afaik it is not a good idea to use VT-d unless it is a must to do it (special hardware that you need ...
mcdull 發表於 2011-10-3 16:15

I see, currently I don't think I am in need of VT-d, just took it as an additional function that preferred in picking hardware.