Question about Unlimted 3G data plan for tablets

I spoke to Smartone-Vodafone about unlimited data usage for tablets.

They said that if I use my mobile sim card with unlimited data it will work with tablets but there will be extra charge becuase the APN for tablets is different than mobile phones.

Is this true?

Is the internet speed for Tablets different from that of mobile phones?

我朋友有兩張card,一張裝入iphone,一張裝入Tablet,無分別的?!
但裝入Tablet那張card,打電話是逐分鐘計的!他是故意的,反正不會用來打電話!

我用緊Smartone data plan,原裝隻手指(K3765,我部PAD無話support呢隻),插入PAD認得到,仲自動set埋APN,不過就上吾到網。
SIM卡入另一隻手指E1750(我部PAD support),乜都認吾出!! 手動入晒APN MCC MNC但一save就乜都無晒。用HIAPN apps睇番,直情就話我無入到SIM..... 用E1750入3台既SIM又可以自動認晒APN仲上到網。所以我估都係Smartone張SIM出事,又或者佢地個台(data plan個APN)根本就係block左比PAD用。

我朋友有兩張card,一張裝入iphone,一張裝入Tablet,無分別的?!
但裝入Tablet那張card,打電話是逐分鐘計的!他 ...
stev 發表於 2011-5-24 20:05

Smartone-Vodofone customer service on the phone got me confused.

I went to the shop and the guy over there tested the simcard that was already in the HTC Flyer and test both APN "Smartone-Vodafone" and "Internet" both worked fine and both had similar internet speeds.  This was done by going to the website, http://www.speedtest.net

So the sales rep told me that my current mobile sim card with unlimited data should also work without any problem.   However I can only use the APN "Smartone-Vodafone".   I can't use the APN "Internet" because I will have charges.  I didn't understand why.

Anyway, now that I know that the both APN "Internet" and "Smartone-Vodafone" have similar speed results, I am not bothered.

Smartone麻煩在佢有個tethering package,冇join既話唔知佢會唔會唔包另外收你data錢

但係如果unlimited連tethering既話,我又睇唔到點解張sim會唔用到落tablet

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

Smartone-Vodofone customer service on the phone got me confused.

I went to the shop and the guy o ...
The Dude 發表於 2011-5-25 01:50

There are 2 APN for SMV,
APN 'Internet' is solely for USB stick while APN 'smartone-vodafone' is for mobile device

that is what I learnt from SMV's explanation

So if I use my Smartone-Vodafone sim card which is from mobile phone and has unlimited data, I can use it with the tablet but I can only use the APN "SmarTone-Vodafone".

The sim plan that I have is the $238 plan with no tethering service.    Do I have upgrade to have the tethering service in order to assure I will have no extra charges each month?  I think it is $50 for the upgrade.   

What do you think?

I used to have a GTab and 3HK, 3G plan but I didn't used it very often, settling for WiFi most of the time. Now I switched to a TF and when require tether my Nexus S for the tablet.

My conclusion, no need to hv 3G on the tablet as you will be carrying a phone with you (of course has to be carrying a smartphone).

BTW, 3HK is not blocking tethering as I just use it with any additional cost.

My 2 cents!

Yeah but tethering 3G from mobile phone is not going to be as fast as having 3G in the tablet already right?  Not sure.