[Windows 7] Windows 7 reinstallation (two partitions) question

本帖最後由 luke123 於 2018-2-15 18:39 編輯

Hi

I have Windows 7 installed in each of two partitions on an SSD, the 2nd one being a backup for contingency use.

The 1st installation went haywire yesterday (possibly corrupt system file), and I'd reinstall Windows 7 in the same partition during Chinese New Year.

My question is:

The existing bootloader will probably be overwritten, and it won't be possible to boot into (or select) the existing 2nd Windows 7 installation (now running as backup) after the reinstallation.

Can this be fixed by installing a program like EasyBCD in the new, freshly reinstalled Windows 7 in the 1st partition?

Would welcome input from any CHing's.

Last but not not least, Happy Chinese New Year to all on the HKEPC forum.

Last but not not least, Happy Chinese New Year to all on the HKEPC forum.
luke123 發表於 2018-2-15 06:38 PM

I wish I could help but my OS maintenance knowledge is still quite limited
May I ask, did you make backups of those two partitions concerned?
What I would suggest not doing is to overtrust SSD too much, especially in a multi-partition situation
The more partitions being made, the more likely a partition gets corrupt and unrecoverable

And NO, no happy CNY here, folks get busy during CNY cleaning and optimising their systems and that is to be the hell of a job

May I ask, did you make  ...
anon893 發表於 2018-2-15 18:47

Thanks for your reply.

All important data is backed up to two cloud services and locally to an external drive.

The SSD has only two partitions.

Windows 7 will be installed afresh over the current one in the 1st partition, and hopefully the partition table will not be messed up. However, if any CHing sees risk in this method, any suggestion is most welcome!

本帖最後由 KZ4977 於 2018-2-16 00:38 編輯

原則上你重裝一個新 Windows,佢會同你喺 BCD 度加新 entry。

或者我咁講,兩個 Windows 如果你裝喺同一隻 SSD 度,佢哋應該係用同一個 bootloader?定你有刻意分開兩個 bootloader?

簡單啲,Boot入Windows。
然後用NTBootAutoFix
就可以出返兩個選單。

May I ask, did you make backups of those two partitions concerned?
What I would suggest not doing is to overtrust SSD too much, especially in a multi-partition situation.
The more partitions being made, the more likely a partition gets corrupt and unrecoverable
anon893 發表於 15/2/2018 18:47

I think your comments may apply to the OP, where the two Windows 7 partitions are apparently not independent of each other (by this I mean that the boot code for the second Windows 7 installation is located in the first partition, or the boot code is shared, so that the loss of data in the first partition causes the second partition to become unbootable as well).

But it does not apply to my situation. On my systems, on the SSD drive I have 4 OS partitions (two Windows 7 and two Windows 8.1 on each of my two most used systems) which are completely independent of each other. When one of them boots, the other OS partitions are hidden and invisible from the active OS. Thus even when in the unlikely circumstance one of the partitions is corrupted the other partitions still work. It takes more effort to setup such a situation but I believe it works well for me.

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽