Linux is the world’s fastest growing desktop OS – up 64% in 9 months

http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/02 ... ercent-in-9-months/

show not use % growth as comparsion...
should use net market share increase to do comparsion....

其實 desktop 最大問題都是那句,應用的份量不夠重……
一個是Adobe CS系列,一個是 MS Office 的替代……

回復 3# killuazaoldyeck
that's one thing....

still... Linux has a long way to go to be a competitive desktop. It is still missing lots of little touch/basic features which many layman desktop users expect

回復 4# howdy

i would say it is not Linux that needs to grow..
but software vendors need to make killer apps (MS office, adobe, games, hardware drivers... etc) for Linux, which is just not gonna happen

回復  howdy

but software vendors need to make kil ...
icarus-c 發表於 2012-3-1 20:40

部分人一味強調不少 Software 有代替品:Adobe Photoshop->GIMP,Adobe AI-> Inkscape / Xara Xtreme,MS Office -> LibreOffice  
結果這些 Software,非要做到某某 Software 一模一樣,才被一般人叫做「好Software」。這種落差,感覺反而很大程度限制了獨特發展方向。
另外,很多 Windows 平台 Software 雖然可以在 Wine / VM 運行,但感覺和 Linux DE 非常不統一,甚至經常反問,我既然常用這類 Software ,我有咩理由要堅持用 Linux 做 desktop?

而站在商業角度,的確 Linux 還是祇能用在 Server 上,還未能普及到家居電腦的 OS 選擇上,就算技術可行,也不願意主動推出 Linux 版本……

唔好講linux 啦,大把人寧願xp 唔上 win7
使用習慣,同埋唔想重新再學問題

回復 6# killuazaoldyeck

想多人用 linux 一定要先攻下 office

openoffice 本來希望從 office 搶市佔
而且聲勢相當大

但結果 office 先減價 , 再跟機
基本上已經無位入

就連最有希望的手機平版 , 都比 MS office 行先一步

可能最大問題係LINUX 無錢賺,所以大部分商業軟件用在WINDOWS或MAC上。

回復  howdy

but software vendors need to make kil ...
icarus-c 發表於 2012-3-1 20:40

The question to ask is: why would they bother!!?? (when the foundation for desktop use isn't competitively ready so to say)

Merely having a need to solve compatibility issue across just tens of distributions would scare most away! (not to mention it is unlikely to be cost-effective!)... not even to mention hardware compatibility (graphics card etc.)

The only end-user software I have ever used having official Linux support are those that emerge from the *NIX days, and they were pretty cross-platform to begin with..... but they're professional software that cost more than 100grand per seat per yr.

I wish I am wrong, but I just can't yet see any commercial attractiveness of developing GNU/Linux software for normal software vendors to be honest.

Ah, maybe another one I use is crossover office.. but then it's too different to be considered "normal" software.